Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Heavenly helpers

I love this picture my cousin Sarah took today of Clara longingly looking outside.

Last Monday, after we heard of Clara's diagnosis, my cousin joined in with many others petitioning prayers for Clara on Facebook. A friend of hers from BYU replied to the post: "My nephew was cured of that. You should call me at noon." 

Later in the evening my cousin texted me the name and phone number of the mother of the boy. The mother's name is Bethany and she lives in Idaho. In the back of my mind I wondered if it was the same Bethany I knew at BYU who lived a few doors down from me at DT my Freshman year. What are the odds? I was eager to call and talk to someone who had been through this experience so I quickly called Bethany. As soon as she answered, I knew it was the same Bethany from BYU with whom I had lost contact with over the years. (Although, about 3 years ago I did run into her at BYU Women's Conference.) Bethany had also wondered if by chance it would be me when she learned a Natasha  from Washington would be calling. 

During the first few minutes of our conversation last Monday we marveled at the preparation that Heavenly Father had made nearly 14 years ago. To be able to talk to a friend whose son survived neuroblastoma who knew the worries of my heart and was able to empathize with me was not a coincidence. Hearing first hand the miracle of her little boy being cured from neuroblastoma gave me hope and comfort in a time of uncertainty. As I spoke with Bethany again today, her reassurance that everything is going to be ok gives me strength and reminds me that WE can do this, everything will work out. Thank you Bethany :)

How blessed we are to have a Father in Heaven who knows the end from the beginning and provides us with people who can minister to our needs along this mortal journey. Just like Bethany has been through this and can share the same experience, the Savior has felt both Clara's pain and our pain as her parents in watching her suffer through this. He will not hold back his love, his wisdom, or his comfort from those who earnestly seek him.  

18 comments:

celestial* said...

:)

Jodi said...

That is truly a blessing for you and Bethany to have met 14 years ago. I had chills and tears as I read this post. Thank you for sharing this. Our continued thoughts and prayers.

tharker said...

This is amazing! What a comfort it must have been to talk to another mother who had walked this road before you.

Miracles do happen and I am praying every day for a miracle for your sweet Clara.

Candace said...

That picture is so sweet.

Elizabeth said...

What a tremendous blessing of comfort during a scary time. I understand the need to talk to someone who has experienced similar heartaches. I think of your whole family constantly. Love and hugs to you.

Elizabeth said...

I know Elizabeth loves you too, but that was from me :)

hatch said...

It is so true our loving Father in Heaven never leaves us alone, he is always there for us, and knows just when to send someone to lighten our load, someone who understands what you are going through.
That is amazing that you were able to reconnect with Bethany.
Your faith inspires me. Your family and Clara continue to be on my mind and in my prayers daily.
Thank-you for all the updates.

Teri said...

Just another one of your "tender mercies", I'm sure. In one of your greatest challenges you are blessing the lives of others by posting your experiences and thoughts. You are amazing.

Rachael said...

be still my heart, that is the most precious picture...

Paradise said...

Love you Natasha! You are much strong than I, obviously after all my crying yesterday. I am just so humbled. Will spent many hours sitting by the window at Primarys longing for some time outside. As soon as you have ten minutes without some sort of liquid being pumped in her, take her out in the wagon. It does wonders for the soul. I feel so good about Clara! You are so blessed to have her in your family.

Aubri said...

I am a friend of Ashley Treu and have been following your blog and praying for your sweet baby. She is just a few months older than my youngest and I have been thinking about her as I rock him at night. I too know Bethany and have also been thinking about her and Will as I read your posts. She is a very positive, wonderful, strong lady, and a perfect person to help you through this. I'm so glad you found her again. Clara is in my thoughts and prayers :)

Kris said...

A blessing for your family to have this reconnection with someone that has been through it all! Another Tender Mercy indeed. Keep up with the constant faith. You are amazing!

Marilyn said...

What an inspiring story, and what a blessing to have someone to talk to who understands exactly what you are facing.

I am grateful that you are blogging again. I wish the circumstances were different to pull you back in, but I have missed your posts and appreciate the example that you share.

Lyssa Beth said...

That is just amazing and not just coincidental! definitely a tender mercy and a miracle. I look forward to your updates and thoughts. You are so strong and an inspiration to me. I miss you guys too. You and your family took us in when we moved there. I don't know if I ever thanked you but THANK YOU for being you and your awesome self.

Pat, Lori, and Chloe said...

That is amazing and what a blessing for you to have her in your life.

Anonymous said...

that really makes the value of our relationships so much richer, even just the small relationships. i am so happy that you have someone who can relate to your feelings. it is truly a tender mercy. isn't it amazing how aware the lord is of our lives. i don't know you personally but i know Jami and Ashley, your husbands sisters. i pray for you and your little girl each and every day and everytime i read your posts i truly feel the spirit. thank you for giving me the opportunity to become closer to my heavenly father through prayer and by reading your inspiring words and examples.

Annalise said...

Dear Natasha,
I know you don't know me, but Celestial is my sister and Bethany is my sister-in-law. I am touched by your faith. Our Will is so special to us. Even at 1 year old, I visited him in the hospital, and he looked out from behind his crib bars at me and I was stuck with the wisdom in his eyes. He very quickly became an "old soul." Your daughter is beautiful and precious and still will be when this storm is over. Just like our "Iron Will." All you have to do is anchor yourself to the Lord. You are a complete stranger to me, but know that my heart and my prayers have now been cast in with yours.

D&C 84:88 "I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

God bless.

LKP said...

pure love from Heavenly Father! :)